Monday, January 28, 2013

Pride and Prejudice Turns 200

It is a truth universally acknowledged that January 28, 2013 marks the 200th anniversary of the publication of Jane Austen's novel Pride and Prejudice.  That's right, the story of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy has been delighting readers for two centuries.  In many ways, it is as popular today as it has ever been and appears near the top of many people's favorites list.  There are celebrations happening all over the world and there are plenty of ways to join in the fun:

1) Read or re-read the novel.  If you are one of the few people who have not read the actual novel, this is the perfect time to do so.  It is one of the best examples of Austen's brilliant writing style with characters that seem so real and vibrant.  See my review here.

2) Watch an adaptation.  Everyone has their favorite version of this story.  Whether it's Colin Firth jumping in a lake, Matthew McFadyen strolling through a misty field at sunrise, or Firth and Hugh Grant scuffling out in the snow, there's an adaptation out there for everyone.

3) Share the love.  Read the novel as part of your book club, host a party (tea or otherwise) to celebrate, organize or attend a dance...whatever you do, find a way to celebrate this great occasion with friends.

What do you love about Pride an Prejudice?  Have a favorite character, quote, or adaptation?  Share with us in the comments.  

1 comment:

Hannah said...

- I love P&P because it's witty, charming, fun, romantic, is brilliantly-written and has brilliant characters : )

- My favourite character is Elizabeth.

- My favourite quotes are the opening line, Darcy's declaration of love to Elizabeth and:

“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! - When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”

- My favourite adaptations are the 1995 adaptation and The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.