Saturday, October 30, 2010

Weekly Geeks 2010-35: Where Have You Been All My Life?

Once in a while I read a book I have had for years and I think “How the hell did I miss this one? Why did I not read this one before?

Is there a book that has hang around your reading pile for far too long before you got to it, A book that probably got packed away until you accidentally got to it or a book that you read a few pages in and never got back to.

If so share or ask your readers about that book that really made an impression on them (good or bad) after having it or hearing about it for far too long?

There aren't too many books that sit in my "TBR" pile for very long. Usually, I read books pretty soon after I hear/think about them. But there are some that lingered. Books that got pushed to the side because I had something else I was dying to read or because I wasn't so sure that I wanted to read them at all. And yet, many of these books have become instant favorites:

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. I had many friends recommend this one to me and I STILL never took the time to actually sit down and read it. In fact, it was only because it was included in The Classic Tales Podcast that I even took the time to listen to it. I kinda knew what the plot was about and since the French Revolution had never been exactly my favorite era, I pushed it to the side in favor of other things. I wish I hadn't. I absolutely loved everything about this story. The characters, the adventure, the humor...it was all so good. Should have read this a long time ago.

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkein. I had my own personal reasons for putting off this story. I'm still not sure exactly what made me decide to actually read it. Maybe it was because I wanted to see the movies and I try to read the books before I watch the adaptations. Anyway, I was hooked. Tolkein's rich and complex story is really as good as everyone says it is. If you haven't read this one, don't make the same mistake I did. Read it NOW!

Daphne du Maurier Novels. Ok, so this one isn't entirely my fault. I had never heard of Daphne du Maurier until I began watching a lot of Hitchcock films. This is somewhat surprising since I love Gothic type novels like the Brontes. Anyway, I've read both Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel and thoroughly enjoyed them. If you are a lover of Gothic lit, do yourself a favor and grab anything by Daphne du Maurier. You won't be disappointed.

How about you? Is there something you put off reading only to discover a new love when you finally did?

2 comments:

Kerrie said...

I found it too hard to think about books I've left on the shelves for months even years (there are just too many of them), so my post is a little different

Megan said...

Lord of the Rings was one I put off reading for a while, too. My dad is a huge fan, and ever since he figured out I was a reader he hounded me about reading The Lord of the Rings, but I, too, never really bothered to get around to it until the movies started coming out. Glad I finally did! They easily took up residence on my all-time-favorite list!